Medical and Travel Insurance

The New Zealand Government requires that all international students have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand, even those who are only studying part-time. Please discuss options with your education provider prior to organising insurance.

If you already have insurance from your home country you must get the policy approved before you arrive. If your policy does not meet the requirements of the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, you will have to purchase another compliant policy.

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation of New Zealand provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at