Do I need a visa to study in New Zealand?

Everyone who comes to study in New Zealand from overseas must meet certain requirements. If you are coming to New Zealand to study for more than three months, you will need a student visa.

For information on Student Visas, including the application process please see the New Zealand Now website.

How do I get a scholarship?

Scholarships offered by education providers are available through their profile pages. Please click here for a full list of education providers in the Wellington region.

A list of other scholarships is available through the Scholarships Page on the Education New Zealand website.

Can I work while studying?

Depending on the length of your course, you may be able to work during the summer holidays and for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. You may also work for up to one year after you have completed your course of studies if you meet certain requirements. For further information please visit the Immigration NZ website.

What work opportunities are available in Wellington?

For a list of skills shortages areas in New Zealand visit the New Zealand Now website.

There are a number of job opportunities available throughout New Zealand. See the Working page for more information.

How do I find accommodation in Wellington?

All schools in New Zealand are required by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students to provide homestay accommodation for international students. Some schools also have boarding houses.

Some tertiary level providers, including Victoria University of Wellington and Massey University Wellington Campus offer Halls of Residence options. A Hall of Residence is a type of accommodation where you live with other students of different ages, backgrounds and interests, with or without meals provided.

If you are interested in sharing a house with other people check out TradeMe for options.

See the Education Directory to see what kinds of accommodation Education Wellington providers offer.

How well do I need to speak English?

It depends on which level of education you will study at. For entry into university undergraduate degree programmes a minimum of IELTS 6.0 (or equivalent) or higher is the minimum requirement. For postgraduate study at university this is usually IELTS 6.5 (or equivalent). Institutes of Technology and private providers may require a lower level of English language for entry into some courses including undergraduate degree programmes.

Please contact the education provider directly to check whether you meet their entry requirements.

What is the school year in New Zealand?

For the New Zealand school calendar click here.

For the university calendar click here.

For other institutions please check their individual websites.

Are New Zealand qualifications recognised internationally?

New Zealand’s education system is world-leading as recognised by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

For international recognition of NCEA, New Zealand’s school qualification system click here.

Can I transfer from an institute of technology, polytechnic, or private tertiary provider into university?

Many diplomas taken at institutes of technology, polytechnics, and private providers can be used to complete degree studies at universities in Wellington. For pathway agreements between institutions please see the Education Directory. Many institutes of technology, polytechnics, and private providers also provide full undergraduate degree programmes.

What activities can I do in my spare time?

Wellington has an enormous number of activities and events during the week and in the weekends. For a taste of upcoming events see the WellingtonNZ website.

The Education Wellington Facebook page is a great resource for students. We regularly post information about what is happening in the Wellington region.

Where are campuses and colleges located?

See our regional map with locations of all the Education Wellington providers.

Can I combine my holiday with an English language course?

If you take one or more short courses which are approved or exempted by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority, for no more than three calendar months duration in total, you do not need a student visa or a variation of conditions.

For more information please check the Immigration New Zealand website.

For a list of English schools in Wellington click here.

What is secondary school study like in Wellington?

New Zealand offers quality schooling at the secondary/high school level. High school study is approximately five years long, from year 9  to year 13 (approx 13-17 years old).

Most secondary schools in Wellington are state-owned, and teach a nationally set curriculum. There are also a number of privately owned secondary schools in the Wellington region.

New Zealand’s secondary schools offer national qualifications that are recognised by tertiary institutions in New Zealand and internationally. For information about the National Certificate of Education Achievement see the NZQA website. A small number of schools in the Wellington region also offer the International Baccalaureate qualification.

Police/ emergency contacts

For Police, Fire Services, or Ambulance dial 111.

Support services

All institutions in New Zealand hosting international students are required to provide adequate support. This support is outlined in the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, available here in a number of languages. Many Wellington institutions have dedicated support staff, many who will speak the same language as you.